Almost 50% of marriages end in divorce. There are fundamental issues that, unless addressed and resolved, can drastically reduce your chances of a successful and lasting marriage or relationship. If you are thinking about getting married or committing to a long term relationship, reading these questions and making sure you are clear and comfortable with each answer will prepare you for a life of happiness together.
- How will the household run?
- What roles will you each play in the management of your home, children, work?
- Do you feel good about yourselves together?
- Do you like each other’s friends and family?
- Do you make an effort to meet each other’s needs?
- Could you be friends if you weren’t a couple?
- Are you equally neat or messy?
- Do you agree about how to spend and save money?
- Do you both recognize how your actions affect how your partner behaves?
- Do you agree about children in the marriage?
- Do you agree about religion?
Red Flags that can destroy your relationship:
- High conflict while dating
- Poor communication
- Physical or verbal abuse while dating
- Excessive control by one of you over the other
- Excessive criticism by one of you towards the other
- Threatening the end of the relationship when fighting
If all or any of these apply to you, you need to re-evaluate the health of your relationship and get professional help to deal with them.