It’s that time of year again…
You begin to hear holiday music playing in all the retail stores…
We take down the decoration boxes from storage and reminisce over memories’ past…
Where the snow begins to fall…(depending on where you are, I don’t get much personally her in Los Angeles, haha)
There are so many unique traditions that can be incorporated as we enter into these Winter months. Yet, when was the last time you took some time to think about what type of new tradition you’d like to start this year? That seems to be a bit of the paradox of traditions - typically we have done them over the years’ as beginning something new loses the sense of nostalgia that traditions actually bring.
But, everything has to start somewhere! Who says that you can’t begin something that you’ll see through annually for the coming decades?
Should your interest be piqued, here are a few ideas of new traditions you can set this year:
- Go to your local cafe, grab some hot cocoa to-go and drive through a beautiful neighborhood looking at Christmas lights
- Find a local ice rink, rent some skates, and dance around on some frozen water! Perhaps wear bulky padded clothing if you haven’t done this one in a few years :)
- Create a playlist on Spotify that you listen to throughout this season curated with some of your favorite tunes.
- Start a themed “Holiday Supper Club” with a few friends where one of you hosts, another brings the entree, someone else brings the sides and the drinks so together you make one delicious and memorable meal.
- If you’re in an area with snow, go outside and create snow angels - when was the last time you tried that since childhood?
I hope those are some ideas to get you started in planting your own flag in this holiday season. There are a lot of mixed feelings that can come up when it comes to traditions - whether you used to have some that you loved but they were tied with a relationship that is no longer there, or if you have had crummy experiences with this time of year. There are no rules telling you how you can experience these winter months, so take that freedom and make it your own. Should you want to talk with someone about the difficulty this season can bring or even brainstorm some new avenues for you to experience, please feel free to reach out to my office to book an appointment.